Located 8 km from Larnaka town centre and 20 minutes’ drive from Larnaca Airport, the large community of Oroklini (also known as Voroklini) enjoys an elevated hill position that gives breath-taking views of the sea and coastline of Larnaka Bay.
There are various theories of where the village took its name from, with one interpretation deriving from the words ‘oros’ and ‘klinin’, meaning ‘profuse’ in reference to the abundant water running down from the slopes of the mountain from the spring of the area. The main attractions of the village include its old neighbourhoods of pre-1882 buildings, and its churches and chapels, with the quaint stone-built Chapel of Profitis Ilias (Prophet Elias) perched atop a hill with its spring of Holy water. It is close to a number of sandy beaches, Yannathes Beach having the region’s only official international Blue Flag award.
The village also has the region’s second famous wetland - Voroklini Lake – which is a protected Natura 2000 site of Pan European significance thanks to the biodiversity of the lake. Two threatened bird species come to nest at the site; the Black-winged Stilt and the Spur-winged Lapwing. It is also the only site in Cyprus where the beautiful Red-crested Pochard nests